Monday, August 12, 2013

Passing on the A.T. Bug

Post by Sue Garcia, Undermountain Elementary school Sheffield,. MA  4th grade

Recently I had the honor of spending a week with 50+ like minded people at the TTEC program in West Virginia.  I came away from this week inspired and excited about the coming school year.  As I mentioned, there I haven't felt this excited about school starting in many years.  The TTEC program has given me the insight and ability to teach from my heart again.. A place I began my career 18 years ago, but with time and state tests it becomes harder to find that place to teach from.  This program and last week with such wonderful people gave me that back.  I can't wait to start the project based unit that I am creating.  I have already made contact with many local organizations and have meetings planned to collaborate and work on this project.  I am planning on taking my students out on the trail the very first week of school... How exciting is that???
Today my 7 year old son and I hiked into Upper Goose Pond in Massachusetts.  Anyone that has ever been there knows that this is a special place to visit.  It has a cabin on the lake that houses 14 or so hikers on any night and welcomes them in the AM with Blueberry pancakes.  My son and I went on this journey today in order to deliver another TTEC alumni's project.  We were carrying an Appalachian Trail trading card project and the box of art supplies to go with it.  My son was so excited to make this journey with the idea of jumping in the lake when we got there. Upon reaching the cabin we were greeted by the caretaker, Pete and some fellow hikers who were spending the night there.  We got the tour and explained our purpose.  We put the project up on the fireplace hearth for pictures until Pete can determine where it will live permanently.  What a wonderful idea to give the hikers a creative outlet to leave a card and take a card with them from another hiker.  Thank you Geoff DeMark, from Woodgrove H.S in Loudon county, VA  for doing this project and giving us a wonderful reason to hike today. Your students' project will give a lot of pleasure to many hikers who spend the night at Upper Goose Pond.    

While at the cabin Aidan, my son and I looked around and decided that our family will be hiking in sometime this fall to spend the night.  He loved the idea of staying over night on the bunks and talking to thru-hikers.  One of the things that I have been so grateful to TTEC about is how much my son loves hiking and is interested in the trail. His last year's teacher is a TTEC alumni and she gave him the A.T. bug and now he can't wait to hike on any given day.  This program has given our family a wonderful way to get out on the trail and to become involved in the trail community.  I look forward to seeing where this leads to in my son's life.. 

No comments:

North Carolina NCCAT participants

North Carolina NCCAT participants
At the Wayah Bald Fire Tower

Mary Jane

Mary Jane
On top of Silers Bald