Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It’s Everywhere! It’s Everywhere!

I walked in the door, returning from an amazing week in West Virginia, and there sat my pile of mail from the week I’d been gone.  I looked down to see my new Discover Magazine on the top.  Low and behold, one of the subtitles on the front cover read, “Citizen Scientists, Try THIS in your own backyard”.  My mind was still immersed with the ideas of the week running through it, and my heart was still pounding happily about implementing new ideas I’d learned.  Seeing this cover made me think I was right back in West Virginia, discussing integration of science into place.  The article explains a book referred to as a bestiary; facts and information about creatures around our homes, initially written in medieval times and lavishly illustrated. The author, Lyanda Lynn Haupt, explains a need for the use of this book by stating, “As urban dwellers, we find ourselves unmoored- bereft of the knowledge of local creatures, plants, and soil that were a necessity of life just a couple of generations ago.” It’s a great article and I suggest you check it out from the September 2013 edition.  The art work and information about animals such as pigeons and moles are fabulous. The article is based on the author’s book, The Urban Bestiary.  This was the first of many times I’ve come across ideas related to the TTEC experience since I’ve returned.  Here are a few others.
A month and a half later, I picked up a thru-hiker in Walmart parking lot, heading to the Gorham Post Office.  In our ten minute ride she filled me with information about her hike, which I would share with my class the next day.
Most recently, as I was hiking Mt Crag, I came across a man and started chatting.  It turns out his name was Ron Marquis, he was from Gorham and has recently published a book about his hiking experiences in northern New England with his dog, entitled Trailing Teddy.  He dropped off a copy of his book at my school a few days later and my principal asked if he’d be willing to come in and speak to the students about his hiking adventures and how he writes about them.  I plan on hooking up with him soon.
So BEWARE fellow TTECer’s- more ideas- more information- they are out there- everywhere!
Pat Weathers
Ed Fenn School

Gorham NH

No comments:

North Carolina NCCAT participants

North Carolina NCCAT participants
At the Wayah Bald Fire Tower

Mary Jane

Mary Jane
On top of Silers Bald