Friday, April 18, 2014

TTEC in the Park!

Post by Betty Gatewood
TTEC Advisory Council Co Chair and Alumna from 2008


Since 2008 when I was in the TTEC cohort, my husband Mark (Flying McLeods Trail crew) and I have been doing Trailwork and Trail repair on the AT in Shenandoah National Park with several groups of local students.  Having students on the Trail is so important, and these students were gaining knowledge how to be good stewards of the Trail in the future by getting training in Trail construction and repair.

Mark and I have worked with the local governor's school students, a local high school honor society, a UVA service fraternity, and students of my Blue Ridge Community College hiking class.  Here's some of what we/they have done on the AT in Shenandoah National Park (SNP)

  • reconstructed the stone steps from Blackrocks Hut to the spring 
  • repaired and cleaned waterbars on Bear Den Mountain from Beagle Gap to the top of  Bear Den
  • assisted with the AT relocation trail construction on Little Calf Mountain
  • assisted with the AT relocation around a shelter in SNP and pulled Garlic mustard
  • assisted in Trail relocation research on Bear Den Mountain
  • repaired and reconstructed some waterbars on Hightop Mountain
In my work at Mary Baldwin College and as a ranger in Shenandoah NP, I've also worked with high school students to do flora, fauna AND American Chestnut transects. 

It is important work, and I look forward to continuing to share all I've learned from TTEC into the future! 

No comments:

North Carolina NCCAT participants

North Carolina NCCAT participants
At the Wayah Bald Fire Tower

Mary Jane

Mary Jane
On top of Silers Bald